Friday, April 18, 2008


Today it's been 4 years since my dad passed away. It's hard to believe that much time has gone by already because I can remember everything just as though it was yesterday. Still, the pain and sorrow has lessened somewhat in that I'm not thinking about it constantly like I once was. I took this photo at the cemetery the day of his funeral--I take some comfort in the fact that it was one of the most beautiful funerals I've ever attended, if a funeral can be described that way. Many years ago, a friend of mine gave me this poem when her brother died; it was the first time I'd ever read it, and I often think of the words and what a sweet poem it is:

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

(Attributed to Mary Frye)

Rest in Peace, Dad. I miss you so very much. Every day, along with my other prayers, I pray this little one: "Please, dear Jesus, please let my dad be in Paradise with You this day."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

What a lovely poem to remind you of your dad. The picture you took on the day of his funeral is peaceful. I'm sure the picture reminds you of a sad and painful day but somehow fills your heart with peace at the same time.
Sarah
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Anonymous said...

I know you were very blessed to have had a father like you had. I love my dad too. I will hurt when he goes to meet the Lord. I am my "daddy's little girl" so I will lift you up this day, and pray you will embrace the happy and fond memories and always remember him and his love for you.

Love,
Nene