Thursday, April 30, 2009

"Bunny Brown & His Sister Sue"


Earlier this week, Mixed Media Monday's theme was "On the Beach" and Crazy Amigo's challenge was "Colorful Vintage Art." I combined the two when I made this little decorated canvas. I own an original 1927 version of a Bunny Brown book, which was part of a series of children's books written by Laura Lee Hope, who also (supposedly) wrote the Bobbsey Twins series. She wasn't a real person, I just found out after all these years--LLH was a pseudonym for several writers working for the company who produced the books! Anyway, I scanned my book cover, which shows an illustration of two children on a beach. (The illustrator was, by the way, Florence England Nosworthy, who WAS a real person!) I edged the canvas with ink after placing the background papers and the image, and then added shells, glitter, (which unintentionally looks like sand in the photo I took), and ribbon to hang the canvas with.

7 comments:

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

What a delightful seaside piece, Jann. The soft colors here are so pretty!

pchickki said...

Wonderful Jann.
That would make a great picture for our Etsy Team's Rack cards.

Very clever and really nice.
God Bless You
Patti

Sandy said...

Oh Jann this is awesome.
Really lovely piece of art.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely beautiful, Jann! I'm so glad you came to play on Mixed Media Monday - and you weren't late, you have a full week to post your piece before the next challenge :-) Diane

Robin said...

This is absolutely beautiful Jann! Love the colors and that sweet image!!

Draffin Bears said...

Absolutely darling Jann ~ I love your little piece of seaside artwork.

Hugs
Carolyn

Hermine said...

Really lovely