Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Bittersweet Day


Today was lovely, weatherwise, and we had frozen yogurt with 3 of our grandchildren. My hubby helped me plant a beautiful new rose bush in our backyard. And 6 years ago today, my dad passed away. I can't believe that amount of time has zipped by. It seems like yesterday that I held his hand and said goodbye to him. Perhaps one day I'll write about him, but I'm too emotional today. I found this on my sister's FB page--I think it's very sweet, and I don't remember having heard this one before, but my brain is a little fuzzy from a migraine (hadn't had one for a week 'til this morning!)~I'm sorry, I don't know who wrote this, so I can't give credit yet.

"I wish Heaven had a phone so I could hear your voice again . . .
I thought of you today, but that is nothing new.
I thought about you yesterday, and days before that too.
I think of you in silence, I often speak your name.
All I have are memories and a picture in a frame.
Your memory is a keepsake, from which I'll never part.
God has you in his arms.. I have you in my heart."

9 comments:

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I understand your feelings. My dad passed away April 29th of 2008. I was thinking just tonight that it doesn't matter that I knew he couldn't live forever.....I just miss his smile, voice, and had this thought that I wished I could see him standing in my kitchen. I am trying to write a post about my Aunt Marian who passed away last Monday. Trying to find the right words so decided to stroll a few blogs and your post caught my eye. I'm glad I stopped by. :-)

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Thinking of you today.

Laurie said...

I know.

Beautiful photo.

Patty said...

That's a lovely tribute.

Carol Anne's Boutique said...

I understand how you are feeling Jann, I really miss my Dad so much too. That is such a beautiful picture of you and your Dad...so very precious.
Hope you are feeling better sweet friend.
Love you always, Carol Anne

Lydia said...

Jann,

I understand what you are feeling. When you have someone so very special in your life, you never stop thinking of them. My dad has been gone since 1980 and not a day goes by that I don't think of him. And things are never right on the anniversary of his death. And I miss him so much.

I know that you had a wonderful dad like I did. I am so thankful that I had him as a father. There are so many people who have never known, nor will ever know such unconditional love in their lives. So for this, I am thankful and blessed, as I know that you are also.

xo Love, Lydia

David Edward said...

good dads leave behind lovely people that make this world a better place to live in.

Anonymous said...

Jann
I am late in posting words of comfort but I understand how you feel...it really doesn't get easier as time goes on...we just cherish what we had with our Dad's and the wonderful memories made.
I have a tape recording of my Dad that I made 5 days before he passed and need to listen (and locate it)...my Mom had this engraved on his tombstone "Those that know the Lord never see each other for the last time"....
sending hugs...

P.S. I am posting from my other blog this evening...

Nancy James

Angelface said...

I love this poem, I lost my 21mnth old son in 2006 and so I definitely can relate and understand. So sorry for ur loss and yet you are so blessed to be able to help others feel "not so alone" with your artful expression. Stay blessed and continue blessing others. Stop by my blog any time... celinazmynd.blogspot.com